Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Damn, cyclocross is fun

I was a bit skeptical of what the course would be like since I had only been at the park on one previous occassion (for a company picnic) and could not for the life of me see how a cross race could be held there... (I had no idea the park was so big or diverse!).

Anyway, my fears were alleviated by a great course. This was my first cross race in 3 years. (In the mean time, I've had 2 kids and been doing Dad duty). Now my kids are old enough (3 & 1) to come to the races and cheer on Dad.

I raced the "Dad class" as I have termed the "Masters 30+ B" group based upon all the kids on the play structure (my kids included) near the sand trap.
I debated between racing regular Bs (which I raced at prior to my racing hiatus) and the 30+ Bs and ended up opting for the 30+ Bs - mostly because of the timing of the races. I think I made the correct choice (13th place). Anyway, I didn't get a very good starting position so I had to battle my way up to where I ended up for much of the race (Note to self: be at starting line earlier to get better starting position). Not sure if that mattered though as many of the guys I passed early on in the race came back and passed me on the last laps like I was standing still.
Thankfully I managed to keep my bike upright for the race, though my brakes did stop working prior to the race starting - after my warm up lap...

All in all, this was a great race. Thank you Promoters & OBRA. I can't wait for the next one (which for me will be PIR).

No comments: