Monday, September 29, 2008

Battle at Barlow

This was at least the 3rd year in a row that I've raced at the Battle at Barlow. I'm pretty sure I raced it back in the day when it was still a cross crusade race as well, but I do at least know I've raced it the past 4 years anyway.

My whole point in this 'history' lesson, is that it was as hard as I have ever remembered it. Possibly because it was so hot and dry, possibly because it was just really fast and possibly because I was riding without a rear brake for the entire race...

During warm up, the bolt on my rear brake loosened itself and managed to swing into the wheel... Thankfully, my wheel was spared any damage... Unfortunately it ripped of my right rear cantilever post...

What's missing from this picture?

In case you can't figure it out

Back to the race. After 20 minutes I was wishing it was over, after 40 I felt like I was moving backwards at 60 I was done. I ended up in 13th... A place higher than last year, though I am unsure of how accurate that is as a big part of the field was racing in the open As as opposed to Masters. All in all it was a good race, but I will be thankful for the rain.

As far as the bike goes, it is a steel frame and I have an appointment to get it looked at/fixed. I'm hopeful it will be fixed by this Sunday.



No comments: